Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: Davichi–“Don't Say Goodbye”



Davichi doesn’t want to say goodbye in their creepy new music video.


Did you like the song?
Right up front, I have to say I almost never like ballads. I’m trying to become more accepting of ballads, but for the most part I just can’t get into them.

What was your favorite part of the song?
I like the buildup to the chorus where they suddenly crescendo to that high note. Very moving.

Does the English make you want to rip your eardrums out?
I don’t think there was any English. You can watch the video with English subs here to understand more of that juicy plot.

Did you like the video?
Um. It was definitely interesting and kept my attention, but I would not say I liked it.

Was there a storyline? If so, did it make sense?
It’s super plotty! So in one of the most eerie scenes I have recently seen in a music video this astronomer (or wannabe) goes outside one morning to find a woman (played by Min Kyung of Divichi) sleeping or passed out in a garbage bag in his driveway. Instead of calling the police, he brings her in (except somehow only her face is dirty; she still has beautiful, glossy hair and spotless white clothes, but whatever) and feeds her, and they slowly fall in love.

Davichi Don't Say Goodbye Min Kyung garbage bag

This actually happens.

Then it’s revealed that this guy used to have a girlfriend who went missing 5 years ago for some reason, and he has pictures of her everywhere and keeps seeing his old girlfriend when he looks at the new woman. And then he gets this phone call from a mystery man: “Why’d you pick up that trash I threw away? I have your old girlfriend, and I need that girl you have back. Let’s exchange.” Creepy, right? So at this point I’m thinking, “Okay, this is a clear case of double kidnapping, probably other crimes, I’m calling the police.” So what happens? Our guy valiantly figures out a way to save the day and rescue both his old girlfriend and new friend?...

Davichi Don't Say Goodbye kidnapping

We're taking the hobbits to Isengard!

Er. How about the guy takes Min Kyung to the kidnapper, pries her hand off of his arm, and dumps her there screaming and sobbing “Don’t go!” Then he takes his old girlfriend, and never looks back. The old girlfriend apparently doesn’t care at all. The kidnapper shoves Min Kyung into a car. The End.

WHAT IS THIS. NO, SERIOUSLY. WHO WRITES THIS STUFF.

My own personal conclusion is that Min Kyung is an alien who had been experimented on in a horrible torture laboratory. Once they had tormented and tested her enough they dumped her out in a trash bag, but then they forgot a crucial test and needed her back. It explains the emphasis on astronomy and why the random creepy guy wanted her back.

Was the dance cool and distinctive?
No dance either.

Do the members look good?
You know, they really do, once Min Kyung gets the dirt off her face…

Which member stood out the most?
Min Kyung is the star of this MV (because the other half of Davichi, Lee Haeri, isn’t in it) and totally steals the show. Man, this girl can act! I’m talking going from portraying a kind of quiet post-traumatic stress syndrome to heart-rending screams and sobbing, kicking and struggling as she is dragged away. Min Kyung definitely has a future in acting.

Davichi Min Kyung and Lee Haeri

Min Kyung and Lee Haeri

Do you like it enough to buy the song?
No. It’s quite pretty, but I don’t think I could get the horror of this music video out of my head.

Any ending thoughts?
This storyline was pretty terrifying, intentionally or not, and it did not at all seem to fit with the chimes and smiling at the end. Plus, I really wanted to see the other half of the Davichi duo, Lee Haeri. Why couldn’t she be someone in the music video? I don’t understand music videos where certain members aren’t present.

Boyfriend’s one-liner:
“I shall dub it: Garbage Girl and the Psycho Killer.”

Thanks for reading! Please subscribe and leave your comments below. Also feel free to request a review.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Liana! You should do infinite paradise or be mine..... I'm really into them lately and I love their catchy, upbeat songs! Also, the members are super cute too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, nice to meet you! :)

    Haha, I did review Infinite's Paradise: the review is here. I love Infinite's songs, too. Sooo catchy.

    My full masterlist of reviews is here, if you're interested. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. O god... thanks a lot... now I can't listen to that song ever again, that story is way too depressing. Sad part is I liked the song, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just going to reiterate my statement from earlier:

    WHAT IS THIS. NO, SERIOUSLY. WHO WRITES THIS STUFF.

    But I'm sorry the creepy MV is ruining your enjoyment of the song. But yeah, they tend to do that. There are lots of MVs that have ruined songs for me, like Sunny Hill's "Pray." Can't listen to that anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey~
    I wanna know what's the name of the guy here ^_^Thank you^^ btw.. nice to meet you and nice review ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you, too! :)


    I wish I knew the actor's name, too, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you tell me the name of the guy please ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. His name is Yoon Pyung Ho :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to know the actress' name , please!

    ReplyDelete